Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Pendulum...it is swinging around here

After 3 or 4 days of crazy wind that warmed our temperatures and melted our snows, we woke up to ... you guessed it, more snow.  Such is Southern Alberta weather in the winter.   This year especially there just doesn't seem to be a happy medium.  We either swing from frigid to down right balmy.  A real swinging pendulum.  It's odd this year to me.

 It got me to thinking about my relationship with Jesus. (I know that's a crazy jump but it's how my brain works so I roll with it).   I wonder if He thinks it's odd how my pendulum with Him swings.  From cold to hot.  Hot to cold.  I had such a great goal at the beginning of the year to start the day with scripture and end the day with scripture.  I was all gung ho and oh, so disciplined.  In the first month.  And then I got busy.  And then I got tired.  And then the Olympics came.  And my pursuit of Him went from hot to cool as my pursuit of the couch and Olympic coverage took precedence.  Why oh why do I allow that to happen?  Why am I so unstable and unfaithful and, dare I say, fickle?   I don't want it to be like that... and yet it does happen.  While I desire and admire the disciplined Christian life, all too often the apathetic and lazy and distracted Christian life rears it's head.

Yet I know His grace allows me to start again.  His mercy takes my repentance and encourages me to pick myself up and start running again.  Because He knows.  He knows me inside and out, better than I know myself.  He knows my strengths and weaknesses and He calls to my heart through them.  And it's amazing how He sends just the right person with the right set of words, whether they know it or not, to speak directly to me.  It's amazing how the perfect scripture at the perfect time will jump out at me.  And it's really amazing how He uses the weather of all things to get my attention.  Oh how I love Him for His pursuit of me and you.

" But this I recall and therefore I have hope and expectation:

 It is because of the Lord's mercy and loving-kindness
that we are not consumed,
because His [tender] compassions fail not.

They are new every morning;
great and abundant is Your stability and faithfulness."

   Lamentations 3:21 - 23 Amplified Bible





3 comments:

ellen b. said...

I can identify with you for sure. So glad that He is steadfast!

Faith said...

You're not the only one!! He is so faithful and merciful....how we need Him to be and how grateful I am that He allows us to begin again. and again :) Hang in there!!

Monica said...

I am pretty sure that God feels about us like we do for our kids when we are trying to teach them something new. We encourage them to keep trying. Eventually they will get it. We don't stop loving them or get angry (well, not really) because we know they are young and in need of instruction.

This is a really great post because so many of us do this at the beginning of a new year. Presure from the world to "make resolutions". My prayer journal has suffered this year. and I have to say it is probably due to too much reading. Whether secular or bible.

He is a loving Father and for that I am so grateful! Nobody has more patience for me than He.

(hope your weather lines out soon)