Friday, December 07, 2012
Friday's Fave Five #220
A sign that I am much, much too busy is the fact that I totally am confused as to what day it is. Hence, thinking today was Thursday, I didn't put up the FFF post. Then as I'm lazily sitting here trying to wake up, sipping my coffee, it hit me like a brick. Today is FRIDAY! Sheesh. Here's Mr. Linky. I'll be back with my list as soon as I can get dressed and open my doors to the kidlets. Something tells me it would be frowned upon if I opened the door in my pj's with my hair askew. Don't want to scare the kids. Or the parents.
Whew: interesting morning! LOL. Now onto thankfulness and finding the blessings in the midst of a crazy week.
1. Christmas Party ~ our church holds one every year. And they just get better. It was so much fun this year. It is also our fundraiser night for missions in the Philippine's which feeds about 500 kids every Saturday and monthly support for about 4 families living in African refuge camps. The church members and local businesses were so generous this year giving to our silent auction and door prizes. So thankful for generous people.
2. Prizes ~ I won a door prize at the Christmas party. Yes, I will admit it, I do love to win prizes. I won a pair of tickets to a live performance of "A Christmas Carol". In a moment of brilliance, I decided this would be perfect to take my friend to for her birthday, which was last month. Yes, I'm very behind. When I asked her, she was thrilled and we decided to go for supper before, her gift to me for my birthday, which is coming up. It's going to be a fun night!
3. No broken ankles ~ after missing the bottom two steps on my way downstairs carrying a huge box of Christmas stuff. My brain said I was at the bottom but my feet and gravity said otherwise. Gravity won and I came down on my rolled ankle. While bruised, swollen and tender it is not broken! I hobbled around a couple of days and as long as I'm careful to keep my foot straight it's not too bad today. I'm very thankful I didn't break the thing!
4. Good decisions ~ I came to the realization this year, that I have just got too much Christmas stuff. But I love most of it. Putting it out this year, though, I was faced with the truth that it just looks too cluttered. And then I had a light bulb turn on above my head as dawned on me: I don't have to put out every single item. I can just choose which ones I'm drawn to for this year. Who knew I was so smart!
5. Letting myself off the hook ~ I broke down and bought these awesome frozen cheesecake bites and tiny creme puffs at Costco because it dawned on me I might be a little less stressed if I don't put the pressure on myself of baking 50 million things in the next couple of weeks in the midst of kitchen floor being laid and everything else Christmas. So I will probably just my spiced nuts, shortbread for my hubby (and because it's easy peasy) and our favorite lemon poppyseed cookies and call Christmas baking done! I even bought frozen mini quiches for company that pops by. I feel like a thousand pounds have been lifted. I hope my brilliance carries on into the new year!
I know it's busy, busy, busy but I hope you take the time to take a breath and look over your week and find some blessings in the midst of the chaos that is our modern Christmas season. It's a hard season for many and I hope in your week you find moments of joy and peace!