Wednesday, August 25, 2010
It's Wednesday so that means it's time for Linda's Random Dozen. Join in with us Random folk over here.
1. What is your favorite Mexican dish? I've only been to a Mexican restaurant a few times in my life so I don't have a huge repetoire of Mexican dishes in my experience but I love, love, love refried beans, guacamole, salsa and carnitas. I'll never turn down a quesadilla. I love my homemade burritos but who knows how authentic those are.
2. When you were a kid, did you get started on your homework right away after school, or did you procrastinate? When I was a kid I don't remember but I know in high school and college I was a huge procrastinator. Huge. It seemed I worked better under pressure and there was many a night where I was pulling almost all nighters trying to finish papers that were due in a couple of days.
3. What is your favorite store for home furnishings? For actual furniture I don't have a favorite but for decorating stuff, gotta love Home Sense.
4. When you were young, did you like school lunches? They didn't serve school lunches at my elementary or junior high. Elementary I always went with a lunch kit and thermos. I don't especially remember weather I liked them or not but I do remember many a broken thermos. Junior High I always went home for lunch and high school I remember the cafeteria but don't remember the food so much as the wonderful lady who ran it.
5. Is religion a crutch? I suppose religion and religious acts without a relationship with God is a crutch but relationship with Jesus is something that depends on recognizing one's need for the Savior and moving past that point into an actual ongoing, growing, thriving relationship with Him. A relationship with Jesus is never a crutch but life giving.
6. In your region, what is the "big" (most popular in the community or state) high school sport? High school sport? I would say basketball or football though rugby is gaining popularity both with girls and guys.
7. Do you consider yourself rich? Rich in family, rich in friendships. Rich monetarily compared to a lot of others in this world, absolutely. We've never gone hungry or missed a meal, never not had our home or a bed to sleep in. Rich compared to CEO's, Hollywood, or highpaying professions, no. But money never buys true happiness.
8. Which of these would you have the best chance for success in administering:
B) Heimlich Maneuver
C) Changing a flat tire
Definitely CPR and Heimlich Maneuver. Know how to do both? Change a flat. That's what car clubs are for.
9. Which dance would you prefer to learn & why:
B) Hip Hop
Probably at my age and fitness level the waltz would be the one to go for. My hips would definitely seize if I tried the salsa and I would probably kill myself in the Swing. Hip Hop? I would just get laughed at.
10. What's the worst news you've ever delivered to someone? I had to tell a family who had gone for a bite to eat in the hospital cafeteria that they had to get back to their father's room because their father would be passing in the next few minutes. That was hard, awkward and heartbreaking even though they knew it was going to be happening.
11. Name something you learned in college that had nothing to do with classes or academics. I learned that getting addicted to and eating at Taco Time everyday will soon show up on one's hips.
12. New variation on an old question: If there's a song in your head that just won't get out, what is your favorite (or most repeated) line in that song? I usually don't have songs running to my head. There is too much other "stuff" that I need to get through the day in there crowding it out. I tend to more run conversations over and over in my head. Which is weird. But that's me.