Wednesday, May 19, 2010
Today's Random Dozen is all about the "one". If you'd like to join in or read other's answers then visit our lovely hostess, Linda, at 2nd Cup of Coffee.
1. What is one really fast, know-by-heart "go-to" meal to fix in a pinch? Other than Pizza 73, you mean?
Paprikash Krupmpli (Paprika Potatoes)
- 1 sausage ring, sliced in bite sized pieces ( I usually use Ukranian sausage, but any good sausage works, like garlic, keilbassa, even a package of hot dogs if that's all you have)
-enough potatoes to satisfy your family, peeled and cut into bite sized chunks
-1 medium onion, chopped
-1 green pepper, seeded and diced
-1 - 2 Tbsp. sweet paprika
-1 Tbsp oil
In a large sauce pot or small dutch oven, heat oil. Cook sliced sausage and onion until onion is almost tender, stirring so that the meat doesn't burn. Add green pepper and continue cooking stirring occasionally until onion is transparent and tender. Add potatoes and paprika and stir. Add enough water to just barely cover the potatoes. Bring to a gentle boil and cook until potatoes are done. About 3/4 of the way through the cooking you can give a little taste to the dish and add salt to taste at this point. Adding it earlier will make the dish too salty as the sausage will release some salt as it cooks. Serve with fresh bread. My kids like to mash their potatoes in their dishes so that it absorbs the sauce, my hubby likes to leave his chunky. This dish usually takes me 20 minutes tops.
2. What is one item you won't leave home without. (Purse and license do not count.) My cell phone.
3. Where is one place you never tire of visiting? Locally, the river bottom or lake.
4. Share one factoid of your family's history. My parents came to Canada during the 1956 Hungarian Revolution. Something I didn't know about until recently was that they were dodging bullets as they escaped. UPDATE: Well, I just looked up the word factiod and it doesn't mean what I thought which I thought was a fancy way of saying "fact". It actually means "something resembling a fact, unverified, often invented, information given credibility because of repetition. Now that just changes the whole picture, now, doesn't it? Because what I mentioned as my factoid is, in fact, a fact. I have no idea about a factoid and my family history. So there ya go, thanks to Linda, I just learned the real meaning of a word today.
5. Complete this sentence: "Once upon a time I ...." I wanted to be a nun. In grade 5 I think. Yeah, really. One of my favorite teachers was nun. That very quickly changed to stewardess when I found out I'd have to hack off my hair for under the habit.
6. If you could win a one year's supply of anything, what would it be? Gas, please. Or groceries. Groceries would be good. Barring those two? Starbucks. A year of Starbucks sounds pretty good to me!
7. "One quirky thing you may not know about me is ...." I like a cool pillow to sleep so I'll flip it over all night. When I first lay down I always, always flip my pillow over immediately from top to bottom. I don't know why.
8. You have one dollar in your pocket. What will you buy? One dollar? Can anything be bought for a dollar anymore? Hmmm. Probably a bag of Miss Vickie's. And probably the Lime and Black Pepper or the Sweet Chili and Sour Cream flavor.
9. "One thing that always makes me laugh is ...." I'm having a sad week this week so you know, I'm really having a hard time coming up with something for this. Now isn't that sad?
10. What is one thing you could do today to help yourself reach a personal goal? Uhm, probably setting a personal goal.
11. What is one thing you could do today to bless someone else? Going and visiting my former neighbor who now lives in as assisted care home.
12. What is one thing you're looking forward to soon? The long weekend and getting the remainder of my flowers planted.