Saturday, September 19, 2009

Fall Into Reading 2009

Guess what time of year it is?! It's fall and that means Katrina's Fall Into Reading is kicking off into high gear. Love this each fall and spring. Puts a little focus into my reading, I get to find all sorts of great reads by reading other's lists and reviews, it gets me to reach my goal of getting through a non-fiction, and is just plain fun looking at everyone else's lists. Oh and did I mention there is giveaways and prizes? Oh yes, there is. If you'd like to join in, it's a no pressure kind of thing. Check it out here.

So here's my list for this fall. As always with me, it's not written in stone. Things could change especially if I don't get some library books done on time or book tour and review books come along. I've got my required non fiction in here, too. That is always a goal and a stretch for me, finishing a non-fiction.


I started this book in the Spring Into Reading challenge and didn't finish it. I put down over summer because it's just not my idea of a summer read but I'd like to try to finish it:

How the Scot's Invented the Modern World by Arthur Herman ~ A book that explores the thought that here is not a facet of our modern Western culture that the Scots didn't have a hand in. An account of the origins of the modern world from the contribution of the Scots.

Now my new ones:


Into the Arms of Immortals by Ginger Garrett (book tour book) ~ Book 2 of the Chronicles of the Scribes Series. Historical fiction thriller about the arrival of the "Black Death" in Europe. The story of the unseen battle, loving presence and eventual redemption as the church fights to stand between the plague and the people all while not allowing medicine to be studied outside of it's walls. A story of the conflict between science and faith, angels and demons, mortality and immortality.


John 3:16 by Nancy Moser ~ When fatal tragedy hits a college town, a string of events brings together a group of desperate people, each looking for a reason to keep living. A father, a dating ocuple, a professional, an estranged couple confronted with what they did years ago. As these lives intersect on a bright fall day, one of the will hold up a sign at a football game with a shor messae: John 3:16. This simple act of faith will have the power to change lives forever.

The Warrior by Francine Rivers ~ Joshua succeeded Moses as the nation's leader. But it was another man's zeal that pushed the people to put their faith into action. Caleb...one of five men who quietly changed eternity.

The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Bronte by Syrie James ~ An intensely researched book that blends historical fact and fiction to explore the passionate heart and unquiet soul of Charlotte Bronte, author of Jane Eyre.

Matters of Faith by Kristy Kiernan ~ On a search for faith by delving into one tradition after another, Marshall is coming home from college with a girlfriend who has certain beliefs about the evils of medical intervention. His parents have little time for spiritual contemplation as their whole focus is on Marshal's younger sister who has severe food allergies. What follows is a crisis that tests not only fiath, but the limits of family, forgiveness and our need to believe.

Wedding Belles by Haywood Smith ~ With hilarious Southern observations, this story takes on mothers and daughters, wedding madness, and midlife passion in this frank and funny novel.

God has Never Failed Me, But He's Sure Scared Me To Death a Few Times by Stan Toler ~ a light hearted look at the challenges that place us in faith's waiting room.

And not pictured but coming in the mail:
White Picket Fences by Susan Meissner (book tour book) ~ Readers of emotional dramas that are willing to explore the lies that families tell each other for protection and comfort will love White Picket Fences. The novel is ideal for those who appreciate exploring questions like: what type of honesty do children need from their parents, or how can one move beyond a past that isn’t acknowledged or understood? Is there hope and forgiveness for the tragedies of our past and a way to abundant grace?

Wisdom Hunter by Randall Arthur (book tour book) ~ A fast-paced suspense novel rich in spiritual depth, Wisdom Hunter explores what it means to break free of Christian legalism—and discover why grace can mean the difference between life and death.
Double Cross by James David Jordan(book tour book) ~ an action-packed story that provides thrilling twists and turns as well as a thought-provoking look at the personal and spiritual struggles of characters who are as complex as they are flawed. Ultimately, it’s a story of self-examination that describes Taylor’s journey toward the conclusion that some sacrifices can never be earned.
The Last Word by Kathy Herman(book tour book) ~ Heart-pounding suspense meets heart-challenging truth as best-selling author Kathy Herman returns to Sophie Trace in her new page-turner, The Last Word (David C Cook, October 2009). Based on Romans 1:16, “For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the gentile,” Herman’s second installment in the Sophie Trace series triumphantly demonstrates God’s miraculous ability to heal the broken
Unexplainable by Don Cousins(book tour book) ~ In Unexplainable, Cousins shares with readers that God created us to find life in Him, and apart from His involvement, we will never find the life He intended. “As Jesus said, ‘I came that they might have life, and might have it abundantly (John 10:10)’.” Cousins explains, “God wants the only explanation for us to be Him. Most people don’t know it, but they too want God to be the only explanation for them as well. When we experience God’s influence in and through us, we enter the realm of the UNEXPLAINABLE.”
Oops and how could I forget the two I have on hold at the library. So if they come in then I'll be adding:
My Life in France by Julia Child
Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen by Julie Powell
Well, this will definitely be a challenge!

For more fall reading lists and to add your own, please see Katrina here. If you need details and directions click on the button. Happy Reading!

23 comments:

Carrie said...

Oh. You have some really interesting titles on your list that I will very much look forward to hearing about!

Shelly said...

The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Bronte sounds really good! I'm glad I looked at your list; I'm going to have to see if they have that book at the library!

ellen b. said...

:0) Love the title of that Toler book ...

Barbara H. said...

My lists are never set in stone either.

I've seen a couple of those titles around. I'll be looking forward to hearing what you think of them.

Nina said...

Enjoy reading the books on your list.

Karen said...

These all look like good books. All new to me. I like how you took a picture of the books on your list.

Just Mom said...

You have some great titles here! I enjoyed going through your lists from previous years on your other blog - I alwasy like to read what other people thought of boosk we have in common. Good luck with the challnege!

CeeCee said...

I have some of those books waiting for me on my TBR pile. Enjoy your books!

graywolfie said...

Interesting list..! I read 'God has Never Failed Me, But He's Sure Scared Me To Death a Few Times' many years ago..it's really funny & I loved it..hope u enjoy it too..

Leigh Ann said...

I really like your list, especially Wisdom Hunter. I think that is going on my wish list for christmas.

Anonymous said...

that Secret Diaries of Charlotte Bronte intrigues me and of course Julie & Julia is on my list as well! Looking forward to reading that one!

Dianne said...

Wow, I haven't been over to visit in like forever! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Looks like you have some good reads on your list. I read Wisdom Hunter several years ago - a powerful read, life-changing really. And as you can see, I am into the food reads too!

Enjoy!

Islandsparrow said...

Interesting titles Suzanne - you're ambitious!

I have Life in France on order from the library too.

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Looks like a great list, Susanne!

I have to say though, that even though I put a few nonfiction books on my list, I can never quite bring myself to read a history book. That's one genre that is just too much of a challenge for me. :) So I admire your reading the book about the Scots!

Thanks for being such a consistent part of these challenges!!

Anonymous said...

You have some really great books on your list! Have fun reading this fall!

Sabrina Pate said...

My Life in France is just wonderful! It will make you want to go to old France soo badly!

Julie and Julia is quite different from the movie overall, but i still like seeing her change her life thru food!

Happy Reading!

Anni said...

Great list! Have fun with the books and happy reading!

Anonymous said...

Great list! I'm glad I stepped by your blog, it's really interesting! I love the title and the header :) enjoy your fall :)

Lawral the Librarian said...

Your list looks great! I can't wait to see how you like some of these. Have fun with it!

Karyn said...

Some of those sound wonderful! I look forward to 'reviews' (?) Nancy Moser is one of my favorite writers.

Wisdom Hunter is eye opening - I love that book (and the 2 sequels)

Sounds like you'll have good company for the fall!

Just Mom said...

That is quite a list - and some really great titles mixed with some I have never heard of! I comtemplated the Secret diaries the other day but didn't pick it up thinking it might be too dry for me - I'l look forward to hearing what you think. Good luck with the challenge.

Jenny said...

Looks like you have some goodies on your list. I love the Stan Toler title - sounds like my kind of book. *grin*

Happy Reading!

Joyful said...

Hi Susanne,
I am interested in the `John 3:16` book. Sounds like a good read.
And I really need to give Francine Rivers a try. It's tempting, just haven't taken the bait yet. She must be good, as she keeps showing up on `Fall Into Reading` lists.
Joyful