Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Personal Policies

Laura from My Quitodan Mysteries tagged me a couple weeks ago for a Personal Policies Meme. Sorry it's so late, Laura. Between computer problems and stuff happening like Father's day and anniversaries and 3 birthdays within a week in dayhome, I've been a tad busy. I'm finally getting to it.

1. Books are like gold to me and should be treated as such even if they are borrowed from the library.

2. No shoes in the house. It's the way I was raised and I find it very hard to break out of this. Although the rest of my family think nothing of it!

3. Calling anyone "stupid" is totally unacceptable.

4. Use of the word "hate" is restricted to hating sin or the results of sin. It is never to be applied to a person.

5. Be a God pleaser not a man pleaser. Now this is a high and lofty personal policy for me. It is more of a lifetime goal, one that needs constant tweaking and checking, and more often than not, it is missed altogether. I wish I could say that it was a set in stone policy at the Living2Tell household.

6. If you are out and about and plans change, always call home with the change of plans. To me this only shows respect. If I think you are at one place and something happens, I have no idea where you are or who you are with or how to get ahold of you. Me and hubby also do this.

7. Never leave to go somewhere without saying good bye or go to bed without saying goodnight.

8. Tag no more than 3 people per meme! ;vD

I had to really think on these. This is not something I really think about, this personal policies thing. I'm sure I have a lot more stuff milling around and I'm sure if you ask my family they'll rattle off all sorts of stuff. But what I found hard was to discern what was a personal policy and what was a OCD tendency. LOL! Well here's hoping these ladies can tell the difference because now I tag Beck (Frog & Toad are Still Friends), DCRMom (Musings of a Housewife), Alycia (Where My Treasures Are).

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can relate to 1,5, 7. Growing up stupid was as bad as a cuss word in my house! blessings.

Beck said...

Those are excellent rules. Especially two. Take your shoes OFF, people!
I'll get this meme done after the big Graduation! :)

Anonymous said...

I have many of these same policies. Except the shoes. We all take them off almost immediately. but that's just because we'd rather go barefoot. I don't take them off at other people's houses, though, unless I know them really well.

We've tried to eradicate "stupid" and "hate" (except as you described) as well -- to my shame I am far too inclined to say "I hate it when..." and then go on to talk about being cut off in traffic or talked rudely to by someone.

Karla Porter Archer said...

I love all of those rules! In fact, we have the same rules in our home (esp. books, "stupid" and no shoes.)

blessings,
karla

Lisa Spence said...

Number five is such a challenge for me. I have to constantly remind myself of the verse in Galatians where Paul says, "am I trying to please God or man? If I were trying to please man, I would not be a disciple of Christ." (my paraphrase) I so want to be a disciple of Christ, so I must forgo trying to please men, an impossible task anyway!

Linda said...

Great job Susanne. I agree with all of your policies. Number 6 is one I really insisted on when the kids were still living at home. Now - since turnabout is fair play - they like us to call and check in too. Life is such fun sometimes!!

Anonymous said...

books rock
while it might have required a lot of thinking i had to think hard too when i did mine
i really do like your personal policies they reflect what a wonderful person you are :)

Laura said...

I could never wear shoes in a house either, even if someone tells me too, I still can't do it...lol. I'm the same way with coasters on a coffee table.

Stupid and hate aren't allowed in our house either.

Oh and I totally agree with #1. We call books treasures in our house.

Hope your day is going okay.
Laura

Musings of a Housewife said...

Ooooh, thanks for the tag! I'm a little behind on my blog reading these days. I'll get to this soon! Yours and mine might be a lot alike.

Suzanne Temple said...

Excellent rules. All of them.

Shawna said...

I like these, Susanne. We are a lot alike. I was taught not to wear shoes in the house also, and do my best to enforce it here. :0)